leekat

Lee's Library

I read to escape and to learn.  I like science fiction, historical fiction, mysteries, thrillers and adventure stories.

Hunting Season
Nevada Barr
The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker, 12 Quilt Projects
Elizabeth Hartman
The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events: A Seth Book
Jane Roberts, Seth (Spirit), Robert F. Butts

Into the Forest

Into the Forest - Jean Hegland

This is a beautifully written book about two teenaged sisters who are left to fend for themselves after surviving the death of both parents.
The older sister Nell paints a lovely portrait of a family who live by their own rules, on a large plot of land 30 miles from the nearest town.  The girls have a free range education at home, roaming the forest, following their own interests until slowly things begin to change.  A series of events leaves the girls stranded on their homestead, surviving on dwindling stores, and no contact with the outside world.

As soon as I began reading this story, I was struck by how easily this could happen.  All of the events felt real and possible.  Our world seems very close to unraveling and this book brought immediately to my attention just how easily things could go awry.    I asked myself if I have the skills and knowledge to survive in a world without electricity, access to food, heat, water, communication etc.  Sadly, the answer is probably no.  It was inspiring to read about how these girls learned to survive and at the same time deal with the extreme grief and loss of not only their family, but life as they knew it, their hopes and dreams.  I found the choices they made at the end a little bit strange but it did not ruin the beauty of the story for me.