leekat

Lee's Library

I read to escape and to learn.  I like science fiction, historical fiction, mysteries, thrillers and adventure stories.

Hunting Season
Nevada Barr
The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker, 12 Quilt Projects
Elizabeth Hartman
The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events: A Seth Book
Jane Roberts, Seth (Spirit), Robert F. Butts

The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh

I'm a little conflicted about how to rate and review this one.  I was really interested in the subject matter - the Victorian language of flowers.  The young protagonist Victoria is a hurt and traumatized young woman after spending most of her life in foster care.  After finally being released on her 18th birthday she begins a new life working with a florist and starts to bloom a little herself.  The narration flips back and forth between her present life and various childhood episodes which I found quite painful to read.

I don't want to reveal too much about the plot but the closer I got to the end, the more uncomfortable I became with certain actions the character took.  I think the author did a good job drawing me into the story and the characters were interesting but I'm not happy with the ending although I think I'm supposed to be.

November 11, 2011