leekat

Lee's Library

I read to escape and to learn.  I like science fiction, historical fiction, mysteries, thrillers and adventure stories.

Hunting Season
Nevada Barr
The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker, 12 Quilt Projects
Elizabeth Hartman
The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events: A Seth Book
Jane Roberts, Seth (Spirit), Robert F. Butts

Eating Animals

Eating Animals - Jonathan Safran Foer

I’m sitting here after finishing this book asking myself - how is it possible that only one short month ago I was regularly and obliviously munching away on fish and meat without the least idea of what goes into their production and delivery to my table?

The way this author approached the topic of eating animals really resonated with me.  It was personal, it was engaging, he conveyed the information and expressed his preferences without making me feel I had to follow suit.

I love how he began and ended with stories of the cultural and familial importance of food and the stories we tell ourselves about the people who cook them.  As a mother, a large part of my time is spent thinking about food and how to get the best quality nutrients into my family.  Reading this made me reflect upon what kind of values and memories I am creating now as I prepare and serve food for my daughter.

I am thankful I've already given up eating meat because otherwise I would not have been able to stomach reading the information contained within.  I don’t want to write about any of the horrible and common factory farming and slaughter practices so clearly laid out in this book.  If you are interested or willing to face the true cost of what you are putting into your body and that of your family then read this book.

Can the choice to stop eating animals make a difference?  This is the question I have been asking myself which he addresses in the final chapter.  Well, at a minimum, my choice will not contribute to the torture and death of one more pig, cow, chicken, turkey or fish simply because my fleeting and fickle appetite demands it.  For now, while I grapple with these questions a while longer, it’s enough.

Reviewed November 18, 2009