leekat

Lee's Library

I read to escape and to learn.  I like science fiction, historical fiction, mysteries, thrillers and adventure stories.

Hunting Season
Nevada Barr
The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker, 12 Quilt Projects
Elizabeth Hartman
The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events: A Seth Book
Jane Roberts, Seth (Spirit), Robert F. Butts

Born to Run!

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen - Christopher McDougall

I definitely enjoyed this book.  The subject matter is fascinating.  This is partly the story of the Tarahumara people who live in a remote and extremely inaccessible canyon in Mexico with very little outside influence.  Apparently they can run for days, without breaking a sweat, in a completely relaxed manner with smiles on their faces.

I am not a runner and never have been except for running a few sprints in the mandatory track competitions of my school days.  Oh, and I once participated in a cross country race when I was about eleven (without any training) because my school gym teacher was a sadist and a bully.  Reading Born to Run actually made me actually want to get out and run.  It made me sigh with relief to learn that I didn't need expensive shoes or fancy orthotics to correct my flat, wide, feet.  It made me curious if I could run without pain in my middle-aged knees that sound like a thousand ball bearings rolling around in a tin can when I bend them.

The narrative jumps around a bit crazily and at times left me feeling a little disjointed. I wasn’t a huge fan of the author’s voice.  But, despite these minor irritations, I was left feeling inspired and interested in learning more about the assertion that we as human beings evolved as running beings.  That we all have the innate ability to run long distances.  This may be the book that motivates me to test the hypothesis.  And even if I never make it half way around the block, my interest in knowing more about long distance running and the enigmatic Tarahumara has definitely been piqued.

January 3, 2012